09 Apr 2015

The Al-Imdaad and eThekwini municipal workers hand out much-needed supplies to displaced foreigners at the Chatsworth Stadium.

GRAPHIC details of the heinous xenophobic attacks that swept Durban this week have emerged, with reports of deaths and a number of severe injuries. It was unclear how many foreigners had been killed and injured in the gruesome attacks. Police spokesman Thulani Zwane said he was only aware of two xenophobia-related deaths in Chatsworth, but two people were killed in KwaMakhutha and Umlazi yesterday. The two deaths in Chatsworth were of a local person and a foreigner and happened on Sunday, he said. There were rumours that another body had been found in the Lusaka informal settlement near Chatsworth yesterday, but Zwane could not confirm that. He said a foreigner was killed in KwaMakhutha yesterday morning while an Umlazi resident was “mistakenly” shot and killed by a Somali shopkeeper who was being robbed. The woman was hit by a stray bullet. The Somali shopkeeper was being robbed. He took out his gun and shot at the gang, but a bullet struck the woman. She was rushed to hospital but succumbed to her injuries,” he said. The shop owner was arrested and would be charged with murder. A Chatsworth policeman and a survivor with gaping wounds have given graphic details of horrific scenes since the violence broke out last Friday. The Mercury spoke to a severely injured Zimbabwean who was assaulted last Friday night. He recounted hearing a commotion while he was sleeping. Then a group of about 20 men surrounded his house. “They surrounded the house, smashed the door, broke all the windows and tore the curtains. I tried to be calm, trying to think of how I wanted to salvage the situation. “I could see my world crumble before me,” he said. “I started to beg for mercy (saying): ‘Guys, why are you killing me?’ “They told me: ‘You are getting familiar, today you die.’” He said the men who assaulted him were armed with various traditional weapons. “I stopped begging for mercy and just stayed on my knees taking the shots meted out. I prayed and asked God to give me the strength to release my soul,” he said. He eventually pretended to be dead and the men left. Early in the morning a man he knew walked into his house and offered help, but then the man attacked him with a knife. He said it was a miracle that he survived. Hundreds of migrants were assisted by local NGOs, the eThekwini Municipality and various government departments at the Westcliff sports ground in Chatsworth.They were fed and given mattresses, blankets and toiletries. News Disclaimer News displayed on this site and articles reproduced from other sites are not necessarily the views and opinions of the AL IMDAAD FOUNDATION, its trustees,staff, volunteers and team members globally.